5 Questions to Ask a Lawn Care and Maintenance Team Before You Hire

lawn care and maintenance

Hiring a lawn care and maintenance team doesn’t have to be a gamble.

All it takes are a few key questions to ensure you’re getting a responsible, qualified team that will give you a yard you’re proud of.

Based on our years of experience in the field, we’ve drawn up five questions to help you sort the best lawn care companies from the rest. We hope they help you find the right team for your property.

1. What insurance coverage does your company have?

Hire a lawn company without insurance, and you’re setting yourself up for huge headaches if anything goes wrong while they’re working. If a rock flies out from under the mower and hits your neighbor’s window—or worse, your neighbor—you could face a claim against your homeowner’s policy or even a lawsuit.

As expert Chris Vermeulen of King Insurance explained to us a while back, you should look for lawn companies with two coverages: general liability and workers’ comp.

General liability will protect you against property damage or injury claims like in situations described above. Workers’ comp will cover medical payments to any employees who get injured on the job.

2. What are your staff members’ qualifications?

A lawn company is only as good as its team on the ground. Make sure you’re hiring a company with trained, knowledgeable staff.

Here are some key qualifications to look for:

• Completion of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ course for herbicide and pesticide spraying
  • Familiarity with native and non-native plants in North Central Florida
  • Completion of the Green Industries Best Management Practices training

3. What services would my property need on a regular basis?

What you’re trying to avoid here is a “mow and go” company that doesn’t take a comprehensive approach to your yard.

A qualified lawn care and maintenance team will propose a range of service options, from leaf blowing to weed eating to irrigation support among others, depending on what your yard needs to thrive. They should of course also be able to explain why those services make sense for your particular property.

4. Do you adjust your lawn care and maintenance schedule seasonally?

Over the winter, grasses and many plants in Gainesville and North Central Florida go dormant, so your lawn care and maintenance team won’t need to visit as frequently as they do in the summer.

As a point of reference, Sun Power Lawn Care visits most residential properties weekly during the summer, and biweekly or less during the winter. If you have few or no trees on your property, you likely wouldn’t need much more than monthly visits for weeding and tidying during winter.

Seasonal scheduling not only ensures you’re getting your money’s worth, but also supports the environment by preventing waste.

5. Do you have a system for handling client requests?

Maybe you’re getting a new pet, so you want to switch to non-chemical weed control. Maybe you’ve noticed a leak in a sprinkler head that you need fixed.

Whatever your request is, you want to be sure it’s not just getting scribbled on a sticky note at your lawn company’s office. A qualified team will have a system in place to collect client requests and make sure everyone on the team has access to them.

Sun Power Lawn Care uses scheduling software that integrates client communication. That means our employees see all requests—and any other relevant information—as soon as they set foot on a job site.

The result is that clients can rest easy, knowing they’re getting just what they want.

Interested in lawn care and maintenance for your property? Contact Sun Power Lawn Care online or call (352) 507-5296 for a free estimate.

115 thoughts on “5 Questions to Ask a Lawn Care and Maintenance Team Before You Hire

1. Derek McDoogle says:

My dad has a huge backyard and since he suffers back pain, it’s hard for him to take care of the lawn. I like how you suggested making sure you’re hiring a company with trained, knowledgeable staff. I will talk to my dad and see if he wants to hire a lawn care company.

2. Alexus says:

SBRAc0HIzpC65hPOJYaLTWzaYA619YznaRB5u1w5DggYCjSJABkeg6rqzp4SXGnFJdDkkRkGzt6yeG

Hi, very nice website, cheers!
    ——————————————————
    Need cheap and reliable hosting? Our shared plans start at $10 for an year and VPS plans for $6/Mo.
    ——————————————————
    Check here: https://www.good-webhosting.com/

SBRAc0HIzpC65hPOJYaLTWzaYA619YznaRB5u1w5DggYCjSJABkeg6rqzp4SXGnFJdDkkRkGzt6yeG

3. Eileen Benson says:

It was helpful when you said that we should ask about the staff’s qualifications. My brother wants to hire a lawn care service soon. Your tips should come in handy when he starts interviewing potential lawn care companies!

4. Sarah Jean says:

I need to find someone to help me with my lawn. We have a ton of weeds and rocks that are choking out the grass. I’ll use your tips to find a quality lawn maintenance service.

5. online pharmacy canada says:

I’ve been browsing on-line more than 3 hours these days, but I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the web might be a lot more helpful than ever before. “Where facts are few, experts are many.” by Donald R. Gannon. canadian pharmacy

6. Tori Raddison says:

It’s so cool that you can get a range of service options if you hire the right professional to help you with your lawn. I want my lawn mowed because I hate doing that on my own, but I also have a ton of weeds in my front yard. Maybe if I hire someone, I’ll have to ask if do weeding as well.

7. Ellie Davis says:

It’s interesting to know that a professional lawn care company will offer you a variety of services to choose from for your landscape maintenance. My husband and I are thinking about remodeling our backyard, and we are looking for advice to hire a landscape maintenance company. I will let him know about your recommendations to help him understand what to look for on a lawn service company.

8. tinyurl.com says:

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme
    of this site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very difficult to
    get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance.
    I must say you have done a amazing job with this.
    Additionally, the blog loads very quick for me on Safari.
    Outstanding Blog!

9. coconut oil of says:

Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform
    you’re working with? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time making
    a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

10. mobile legends 60fps setting says:

Having read this I thought it was rather enlightening.

I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this information together.
    I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading
    and commenting. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

11. ps4 games says:

A fascinating discussion is worth comment.

There’s no doubt that that you ought to publish more about this subject, it might not be a taboo subject but
    typically folks don’t talk about such topics. To the next!
    Cheers!!

12. ps4 games says:

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme.

Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

Plz respond as I’m looking to create my own blog and
    would like to know where u got this from. thanks

13. quest bars cheap says:

My spouse and I stumbled over here different web address and thought I
    may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to looking over your web page yet again.