6 Super Local Opportunities to Volunteer After Hurricane Irma in Gainesville

volunteer after hurricane irma in gainesville

Nothing makes us prouder to be in Gainesville than our neighbors’ drive to support one another and our local community. Especially after disasters like Hurricane Irma, we know many of you may be looking for ways you can help out.

We wanted to highlight a handful of super local opportunities for you to volunteer after Hurricane Irma in Gainesville. Whether you’re looking to donate time and/or funds, there are several ways to help our community recover from the storm.

You’ll also find some more general volunteer options at the bottom of this list.

6 Super Local Opportunities to Volunteer After Hurricane Irma in Gainesville

Alachua County Humane Society

Our local humane society has taken in hundreds of animals in the past week. They have an Amazon wishlist of items that will help them take care of these animals.

You can also email volunteer@alachuahumane.org to help in other ways.

GRACE Marketplace

GRACE Marketplace has been sheltering people during the storm and is currently looking for donations of blankets, pillows, and laundry detergent, according to United Way.

A more general list of volunteer opportunities is available on the GRACE Marketplace website.

Kanapaha Botanical Gardens

Looking for volunteers to help clean up debris. No pre-registration necessary—volunteers can just show up.

More information on the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens Facebook page.

LifeSouth Community Blood Centers

Looking for donors throughout North Florida, especially Type O. Find a drive near you via the LifeSouth website.

Peaceful Paths

This local domestic abuse support network is currently looking for donations of pantry food, paper products, feminine products, gas cards and grocery store cards, according to United Way.

View all of Peaceful Paths’ donation opportunities on their website.

The Repurpose Project

Got extra wood, metal and other supplies left over from storm prep? Instead of throwing it out, you can give it back to the community by donating it to the Repurpose Project.

More information on the Repurpose Project Facebook page.

We know there are more opportunities out there, both within our community and across the many others that were impacted by this storm. Let us know what causes are important to you in the comments. You can also find a comprehensive list of volunteer opportunities at Volunteer Florida, and you can contact the Gainesville office of the Red Cross here.

72 thoughts on “6 Super Local Opportunities to Volunteer After Hurricane Irma in Gainesville

1. http://tinyurl.com/ says:

First off I want to say terrific blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask
    if you don’t mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear
    your thoughts prior to writing. I’ve had a difficult time clearing
    my mind in getting my ideas out. I do enjoy writing
    however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions
    or hints? Thank you!

2. coconut oil on says:

Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to check it out.
    I’m definitely loving the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to
    my followers! Terrific blog and amazing design.

3. plenty of fish dating site says:

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your website, how
    could i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account helped
    me a applicable deal. I were tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

4. ps4 games says:

Having read this I thought it was very enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a
    significant amount of time both reading and posting comments.
    But so what, it was still worthwhile!

5. quest bars cheap coupon twitter says:

After I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment
    is added I receive four emails with the exact same comment.
    Is there a way you can remove me from that service?
    Many thanks!

6. ps4 games says:

you are truly a just right webmaster. The website loading velocity is
    amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick.
    Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done
    a great task on this subject!

7. quest bars cheap says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this,
    like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog.
    An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

8. quest bars cheap says:

I’m extremely impressed along with your writing skills
    as smartly as with the structure for your blog. Is this a paid subject matter or did
    you modify it your self? Either way stay up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see
    a great weblog like this one nowadays..

9. quest bars cheap says:

Excellent items from you, man. I have remember your
    stuff previous to and you are just too fantastic.
    I really like what you have received here, really like what you’re saying
    and the way in which wherein you assert it. You make it entertaining
    and you continue to care for to stay it wise. I can’t wait to
    read far more from you. That is really a terrific website.